Monday, October 26, 2009

Activities at IGIA on 25-Oct-2009, Post Lunch


Dear All,


Here goes my full enthusiastic update on the Post Lunch activity at IGIA

All the students were in the class at 2 pm sharp. I was supposed to start with Arithmetic Progression, proceed to GP and HP. I had planned to complete the entire first unit by yesterday. But, I was not able to move that fast. I feel that their base is very weak. They lack the basic concepts. They grasp things immediately and proceed on with sums. I covered the following topics

1. Multiplication of powers [a^m x a^n = a ^m+n]
2. Addition of powers
3. Whole powers
4. Natural numbers
5. Rational numbers
6. Prime numbers
7. Odd and even numbers
8. Sequence
9. Series
10. Terms
11. Number line
12. Addition of – and + numbers
13. Subtraction of – and + numbers
14. Solving equations: ax+b = c, solving for x
15. Solving atleast 3-4 problems in each of the topics mentioned above
16. Derivation of the formula for AP

The students were so enthusiastic that they wanted to do more and more and more. I didn’t expect such an energy from their end. For 4 continuous hours they had the same level of energy and they wanted to do more. It was really motivating me!!! I didn’t get a chance to sit or to relax, just happiness was filled in my mind seeing their interest.

A few uninterested people left the class before I started. So it added up that all people were really interested. They started to ask doubts. They didn’t allow me to proceed until they are satisfied. They get confidence.

At 5, I stopped the class and started public speaking session. I explained them the concept of mind mapping technique which is used extensively and they were able to make it up. Each one spoke for atleast 3-4 minutes without any hesitation. I asked the rest of the students to comment on what mistakes they did. Everyone’s active participation was there.

I later, started to ask the difference between die - dye, salon - saloon, dairy - diary. Everyone made a note about this. They wanted more words, but i forgot similar words that time :( I will take care that I would have enough words with me from the next session onwards.

Finally we made a pledge on the following points:
1. We will win in our life
2. We will help others to improve in their studies rather than helping only ourselves
3. We all would go high in our life
4. We all will score more in the final exams
5. We won’t tease others if they talk in english. We would keep our friends motivated

I have just asked Mohanraj, the director to be the leader of this pledge and Subhashini to supervise the activities. You would be knowing the reason for me to chose them!!! :)

The students told that they would put up a chart in their class room that would show the number of days remaining for their final exam. This would ensure them to plan their studies accordingly.

It was 6:15, I was worried about my travel as it started to dim. Then I told, I will leave now. But students told that they wanted me to talk more, help them. They need a regular commitment from our end.

Never I expected the students would sit for 4 long hours continuously. Its great from their part!!! Final comment to the teacher: “Anna, indha madhiri oru classa naanga paarthadhae illa. Romba romba nalla irundhadhu. Indha madhiriyae pannunga, naanga kandippa jeyippom!!!” it was too good, I feel it as a great reward for myself.

I have promised them for a Kannada teacher next weekend. This was their only concern. There are about 5 students who saw Kannada this march for the first time in their life.

Based on the interest from the students part and commitment from our part, we can win together!!! We, the people of UWF would make a difference in each kid's life.

Regards,
Anup

3 comments:

KingMaker said...

Good Narration Anup...Nichayam andha pasanga thangaloda vazhkayil jeipaanga..kandippa naamalum Vetrik kaniyai suvaippom....

Anup said...

Kandippa... we all will share the fruit (success)!!!

Suresh said...

Well done anup....great work....will try to contribute more in future... :)