Monday, November 16, 2009

Weekend Activities: 15-Nov-2009


After a tiring journey the before night, I got up bit late in the morning and prepared Journal, Ledger, Trial Balance, P/L account, Trading a/c and Balance sheet to teach PU I commerce students. I started by 9:30 from Silkboard and reached IGIA at 11:00 am.

I met Gokilavani and called up PU I commerce group girls for accounts class. I started the class at around 11:30 after everyone were in. Initially 6 of the girls (Sujanthini, Sharmila, Subha, Priya, Sutharshana and Bhavya) hesitated to listen and stating a common reason: Tomorrow is exam and wanted to study.

But when I explained that accounts is an easy subject if we understand, they started to pay attention. I started with the first sum of their book. It took me 3.5 hours to teach the basics of accountancy problems. Once I finished telling them the concepts, they got full interest and started to ask for more sums and were doing it correctly on their own. Only at a very few places, they got confused seeing the data (it was even confusing for me). I asked them to figure out themselves. They were right 95% times. One or two incidents they couldn’t figure it out. But, they were able to solve sums on their own in 4 hours. It was a great achievement from their side.

Sharmila told “Engalukku idhu varaikkum collegela nadathnadhu onnumae puriyama summa okkarndhutu irundhom, aana ipo engaluku supera Puridhu. Romba interestinga irukku. Neenga porumaya solli kudutheenga, rumba thanks!”

After asking them to solve a few more problems, I just went out to relax. I was expecting them talking with each other rather than solving the problem when I return. But my ‘expectation’ was wrong, they were solving the problem with full interest!!!

I allowed them 10 mins for relaxation. Sutharshana stayed back and was asking me her doubts. She has interest, but, something in her makes her not to study. She has got a thought that she can’t study well. If we make her throw this thought, she can come out with flying colours.

I again started with the class. Then around 4, the bell rang for lunch. I left them for lunch and asked them to come back in 45 mins. I too went for lunch to the usual dosa shop. As it was 4, I couldn’t get dosa, I was given the left over rice with bitter gourd sambar. I came back in 20 mins and was waiting for my students in the same class reading accounts book. I found it more interesting now as compared to when I studied .
All of them came back and were saying that the food was not at all good. But still they felt sleepy (unda mayakkam). Then I moved on to take Ledger accounts. It’s the mere continuation of Journals. Initially they were bit confused and when explained, they understood the concept and started to solve problems. It was close to 4:45 pm and I didn’t want to force them further as they had midterm exam the next day (Monday).

A few more comments at the time of parting…

“Please anna, enga examku mundhana naal inga vandhu thangi solli kudunga. Naanga rumba nalla mark edukanum”
“Unga naala daily varamudiyadha anna? Neenga vandheenganna, naanga supera mark edupom”

“Romba porumaya solli kudukreenga, enga ellarukkum pudichirukku”

“Continuousa neenga ellarum vanga anna, engala motivate pannunga, naanga kandippa nalla padipom”

“Naanga ellarum PU I final examla 80%ku mela vangna, engala neenga mysore palaceku kootitu poganum”

After talking for a few minutes, I called up all X std students. I wanted to complete Matrices and ask about the homework given by Sridhar and Karthik. People forgot about Sridhar’s task. They remembered Karthik’s task of writing the answers for the test and they told they will produce the same during his next class (Saturday).

At 5:15, the bell rang for tea. I didn’t want people to go for tea immediately as they have to stand in the queue. I told you can go later, a few students, wanted to go immediately and they wanted to have tea that time itself. They gathered their gang and went off. I was waiting for them in the same class and was talking with Jasidharan. I got to know from a few people that most of the volunteers are not happy with the behaviour of X standard girls. They talk a lot and disturb the class.


After they came, I was asking them what is the necessity for us to form a team, plan and come to IGIA to teach people, rather than resting and enjoying at home? They were just doing their own work. One girl writing a letter, other one reading it. One watching outside. One scribbling something on her notebook. When I was asking them, the problem creator, stood up and told she was feeling thirsty. She told that she never drink tea. I got angry and started to scold each one of them. Finally they all were sorry and I started with alphabet pronounciation, basic Indian laws (teasing physique, colour, language discrimination), role plays and team work. I said about laws as our psychologist teased one of her class mate based on her height. She felt sorry for the same.

I got a sorry letter from our “pasakaara ponnu” for behaving odd in the class. All the students wanted UWF to take them out of the campus (one day tour) if they score more than 80% in their board exam. It was 8 and I wanted to leave. The girls advised me to reach home safely and take rest.

I said bye and started home. Reached home within 70 mins, had dinner and slept well.

3 comments:

sridhar173 said...

good work sir,

as you said "Our greatest achievment will be to make them to understand thier worth"

ᾋƈђἷłłἔṩ/அக்கில்லீஸ் said...

Good job Anup.. :)

KingMaker said...

Nam pani menmelum valara en vazthukkal...kandippa avangala 80% ku mela score panna vaikkanum..